We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post, or advertised products on this page.
Veggie Egg Muffins with Caramelized Onions Serves 8
3 TABLESPOONS EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1 YELLOW ONION, SLICED
1 CUP FINELY CHOPPED CREMINI OR BUTTON MUSHROOMS
½ CUP FINELY DICED RED BELL PEPPER
½ CUP FINELY DICED ZUCCHINI
¼ TEASPOON SEA SALT
¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
8 EGGS BEATEN
½ TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
½ AVOCADO, PEELED, SEEDED, AND DICED (OPTIONAL)
¼ CUP SALSA OR HOT SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease an 8-cup muffin pan or line it with paper liners.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the onion and cook it until it is tender and caramelized, stirring often about
10 minutes. Remove the onion from the pan and divide it evenly
among muffin cups.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, mushrooms, bell pepper, and
zucchini, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and
the mushrooms release their liquid. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
5. Turn off the heat. Add the eggs and oregano, stirring gently. Divide the
vegetable-egg mixture between the muffin cups.
6. Bake the muffins until the eggs are set in the middle and browned on top,
15 to 20 minutes.
7. Remove the muffins from oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Serve the muffins warm with chopped avocado and salsa or hot sauce
(if using). Wrap leftover muffins in plastic wrap and store them in the
refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 2 to 3 months.